Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Do You Believe in Fairies?

Sometimes even when you know there is a rational explanation for something, it can ruin the magic of the moment. This was not one of those times. This was perfectly magical. We were finishing up one of our surveys early Friday morning (last week). The night was especially humid so we had more luck finding salamander than the past few surveys. One person had gone over to the side and turned off their light for a moment. When they got back they enthusiastically encouraged us to do the same, emphatic that it would be worth it. At the end of the survey we turned off our headlamps and slowly we became surrounded by faint blue lights hovering near the surface of the ground. They floated around aimlessly, temporarily disappearing behind ferns but maintaining their etherial glow. It felt like we were standing in the stars. Incredible.

After such an experience I can absolutely understand beliefs in magic and fairies. We knew they were really some sort of bioluminescent insect and they reminded me of fireflies (though they held a more constant light). I managed to catch one and it glowed blue in my hand. They were really tiny and impossible to see with our headlamps. We were able to identify them as Blue ghost fireflies (Phausis reticulata). I didn't get a picture because they were extremely faint, but I found this extended exposure picture from National Geographic.


This knowledge did not in any way detract from the magic of the moment. It was the perfect way to end a particularly hard couple of weeks of fieldwork. A not so subtle reminder of what a beautiful and magical world we live in. =]

Going back to other fun encounters of the past week or so, We have seen a surprising number of snakes so far this season. Here is another Ringneck Snake (pictured below) and we have seen a few more Garter Snakes (including the cute juvenile below).

Diadophus punctatus
Thamnophis sirtalis

I have gone out to explore a couple of times when I had a night off (just goes to show how much I enjoy my job!) and found some really pretty salamanders.

Posed perfectly in situ, right where I found her! 


Amazing red legs on this guy!!

Random sunglasses by the road and 2 salamanders
Pretty white spots and pine needles!!
Pretty Spring salamander, with lots of tiny leeches!
We pulled them off, not sure how much that helped...


Tiny little guy, covered in white spots!!
I love the way the front foot of this two-lined salamander
 is hanging off of the leaf! What a goof. 
Huge, pretty Red Salamander (Pseudotriton ruber)!
These guys like mucky areas, so are not really on my study plots.
I knew they were here though; super exciting to find one!!
Saw this one chase a flying insect higher up the tree!
Unfortunately it flew away before the salamander could catch it.

 
Pink Lady Slipper orchids (Yes, again, because they are pretty.)

Jack in the Pulpit
Found these Pygmy Salamanders (Desmognathus wrighti) on one plot Wednesday night. I didn't realize these were found in the Coweeta basin. These guys can look similar to Seepage Salamanders (Desmognathus aeneus), which is what I perviously assumed some others were. These ones were particularly gold, which was unusual for seepage salamanders (alerting me to the idea they might be pygmies). Fun to know one more species is here!


Gold heart (near the throat)

Not sure exactly what this is, but I think it is some sort of fungus, possibly one of the insect dwelling ones (that take over their brain and make them climb to the edges of leaves). I've been told that some of those fungi can be found here and they are found on rhododendron leaves (like the one below, though this one seemed too large to be an ant). 

As some wildflowers finish their blooming season, others begin. These pretty little lilies are just starting to bloom. 
Speckled wood lily (Clintonia umbellulata)
As soon as I picked up the leaf this little inch worm pretended to be a stick!

The edges of some leaves on one of our study plot were covered with white crystals. I think they are minerals from the leaf itself, but I am not sure what caused it to happen. 

Whirlwind of the first couple of intensive weeks of fieldwork. Perfect ending with the blue ghost fireflies. This summer is going to be crazy, but incredible encounters like that will keep me grounded and appreciative of the magic of nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment